San Juan de la Peña Monastery.
During the Arab invasion many Christian hermits isolated themselves in the Spanish mountains of the Pyrenees. The natural cave found in the San Juan de la Peña mountains offered great seclusion and was used as an hermit meeting point until the 10th century. It is there that in the year 920, that Galindo Aznarez II, Count of Aragón, after conquering the lands South of the Aragón river, founded the first monastery devoted to St Julián and St Basilisa. In 1701, Sancho Ramírez (second king of Aragón) created the Monastery of San Juan de la Peña over the old one. He designed it as a burying place for the kings of Aragón. He also endowed the monastery with a vast estate and began the construction of its high Church. In 1245, with abbot Iñigo at its head, the monastery reached an agreement that allowed it to start another peaceful spell and to become once again one of the main Benedictine centers of Aragón. In the 16th century, the monastery underwent yet another decrease in its patrimony, owing to the separation of the dioceses of Jaca and Huesca.
In 1675 there was a great fire. The monastery was left in a pitiful
state, which led the monks to build a new monastery on the plains of San